The Sithist Cabal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MaesterRemus
MaesterRemus

Revenge on enemies Empty Revenge on enemies

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 am
It's been a long time but I have a legitimate enemy. How can I punish the person without doing something I will deeply regret?

Most people just tell me to forgive or accept the consequences of vigilantism.
Fata Morgana
Fata Morgana
Admin

Revenge on enemies Empty Re: Revenge on enemies

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 am
I'd need more information before I could answer. Feel free to pm me if you don't want it to be public.
MaesterRemus
MaesterRemus

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:15 am
Fata Morgana wrote:I'd need more information before I could answer. Feel free to pm me if you don't want it to be public.

Done. (although what to do with those who deserve serious punishment is a useful topic, I think)
Dirk Sith
Admin
https://thecabal.darkbb.com

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 am
InitiateRemus wrote:
Done. (although what to do with those who deserve serious punishment is a useful topic, I think)

I agree. However, there are many possible variables. Additionally, it's advisable to weigh your response against the possible consequences that may follow your actions. Every case has it's own unique factors that determine what is appropriate, etc.

Proceed with care.

D.S.
MaesterRemus
MaesterRemus

Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 am
Dirk Sith wrote:
InitiateRemus wrote:

I agree. However, there are many possible variables. Additionally, it's advisable to weigh your response against the possible consequences that may follow your actions. Every case has it's own unique factors that determine what is appropriate, etc.

Proceed with care.

D.S.

Last edited by InitiateRemus on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)
Fata Morgana
Fata Morgana
Admin

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:46 pm
InitiateRemus wrote:It's been a long time but I have a legitimate enemy. How can I punish the person without doing something I will deeply regret?

Ok, info taken into consideration, but you're right, it's a topic worthy of exploration. I'd like to raise several points which are interrelated but can be considered in various combinations.

1 Terms such as punishment and revenge are loaded and can potentially bring a lot of grief for the person doling them out (as you already imply). It's very easy to see oneself as an avenging angel/demon when in reality it's just an ill considered knee jerk reaction which makes us feel better in the short term because the fire of the emotion is projected out. But that almost invariably comes back and burns us as much as it does anyone else. While sometimes it's worth paying that price that is often not the wisest or most effective course of action.

2 Just desserts, justice, karma, cause and effect, etc can be dealt by those involved in a huge range of ways. Swift and incisive is only a good idea if you have mastered the art of slicing and dicing with aplomb, and have the stomach to watch someone metaphorically lying in a pool of their own karma. It's often not the best way and should only ever be used with absolute control and focus.

3 It's worth considering not only bringing the perpetrator to some kind of receipt of their own actions reflected back, but also the consequences for you and those they harmed in the first place. It is always worth stepping back and examining these factors, then working out the most effective and productive way of presenting that lesson.

4 It is possible to ride the wave of that persons actions and with patience to bring to the awareness of others exactly who and what this person is and to make it impossible for them to do that kind of harm again without doing to them what they have done to others, which would make you a hypocrite anyway, or create an escalating cycle of revenge which is purposeless.

5 There have been times when I have known I needed to stop someone, shove their face in their own actions, and reveal it to others. It can take a long time but circumstances almost invariably present you with the opportunity to do so. When you do it that way you flow with the energy of it rather than take it upon yourself you destroy so do not create undesirable consequences for yourself.

6 Fearlessness is good, but recklessness is not. Do what you need to do but not what you want to to satisfy yourself. I can also say that having been around a long time now peoples actions always rebound on them, without fail. Sometimes sitting back and doing nothing is the most powerful of all, as you watch the inidividual destroy themselves because they have created that trajectory for themselves.
MaesterRemus
MaesterRemus

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 pm
Fata Morgana wrote:
InitiateRemus wrote:It's been a long time but I have a legitimate enemy. How can I punish the person without doing something I will deeply regret?

Ok, info taken into consideration, but you're right, it's a topic worthy of exploration. I'd like to raise several points which are interrelated but can be considered in various combinations.

1 Terms such as punishment and revenge are loaded and can potentially bring a lot of grief for the person doling them out (as you already imply). It's very easy to see oneself as an avenging angel/demon when in reality it's just an ill considered knee jerk reaction which makes us feel better in the short term because the fire of the emotion is projected out. But that almost invariably comes back and burns us as much as it does anyone else. While sometimes it's worth paying that price that is often not the wisest or most effective course of action.

2 Just desserts, justice, karma, cause and effect, etc can be dealt by those involved in a huge range of ways. Swift and incisive is only a good idea if you have mastered the art of slicing and dicing with aplomb, and have the stomach to watch someone metaphorically lying in a pool of their own karma. It's often not the best way and should only ever be used with absolute control and focus.

3 It's worth considering not only bringing the perpetrator to some kind of receipt of their own actions reflected back, but also the consequences for you and those they harmed in the first place. It is always worth stepping back and examining these factors, then working out the most effective and productive way of presenting that lesson.

4 It is possible to ride the wave of that persons actions and with patience to bring to the awareness of others exactly who and what this person is and to make it impossible for them to do that kind of harm again without doing to them what they have done to others, which would make you a hypocrite anyway, or create an escalating cycle of revenge which is purposeless.

5 There have been times when I have known I needed to stop someone, shove their face in their own actions, and reveal it to others. It can take a long time but circumstances almost invariably present you with the opportunity to do so. When you do it that way you flow with the energy of it rather than take it upon yourself you destroy so do not create undesirable consequences for yourself.

6 Fearlessness is good, but recklessness is not. Do what you need to do but not what you want to to satisfy yourself. I can also say that having been around a long time now peoples actions always rebound on them, without fail. Sometimes sitting back and doing nothing is the most powerful of all, as you watch the inidividual destroy themselves because they have created that trajectory for themselves.

4 sounds promising but the individual in question thinks he has brought honor to his family and is proud of his actions. If I went to his family, friends, or whatever they probably are in agreeance with him.

I still don't know what I may do but I can guarantee it won't be obvious and it won't be explicit violence. Perhaps sabotage or blackmail or something where he won't know what hit him or who even did it. I have to keep in mind that I'm not a thug but a magician/witch and a Sith(ist) and that is the path I will always be taking in the foreseeable future.

Correction: I will let this one go, but future offenders will at least be confronted if not punished in some way.

Last edited by InitiateRemus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum